Week #7


The beads came out (they needed some sorting and organizing) so I created. The bracelet on the bottom left is one of my favorite kind to make. Its done with silk thread and knotting. They are so flexible - both in the size adjustment and what you can do with them. I've done bigger focus beads and then others that have been mostly tiny beads. The flower necklace was a blast to do! A friend of mine named *spring* had birthday on the first day of *spring* - so the *springtime* dangle was created. I didn't have enough chain so I added silk ribbon on the ends. (Use it up - that's my motto this year!)

I also took some time for some photography - another *free* thing to do for fun. It's still so brown outside so having these daffodils in the window are such a bright spot in my kitchen! Thanks to sweet friend who drops them by every year!

Healthy eating - green smoothies - more raw foods - and exercise. We are working on these things at our house. I'm pretty sure there will be more to say on the subject of green smoothies in the near future. But I tried a recipe out of the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World ~ the Coconut Lime Cupcakes. mmmmm they were tasty. After we munched down on them and then analyzed, we decided they were really good and if we were vegan we would be thrilled to have them - but, a little on the heavy side. We thought needed a couple of good old eggs. (Guess we wouldn't last too long without dairy in our diet.) I will include a modified version of them with substitutions that I will be making next time.

Coconut Lime Cupcakes
1/3 cup coconut oil (applesauce or canola oil)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk (Light works great)
1/4 cup soy milk (regular milk with be Camber's preference)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
2 fresh eggs :) * NOT* in original recipe
1 T lightly packed finely grate lime zest
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Lime Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup non hydrogenated shortening (I will omit this)
1/2 cup non hydrogenated margarine (I will use butter next time)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp freshly grated lime zest

1 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut ( I used sweetened because that's what I had)
Thinly sliced limes for garnish (if desired)

If you are using the coconut oil, melt it in a small sauce pan. Ina medium bowl mix together the melted oil and sugar. Add the coconut milk, milk, extracts and lime zest. Mix to combine. Add all dry ingredients. Mix til smooth then dd the coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minute minutes - til top springs back lightly.

When I made the original icing I only use have of each of the shortening and margarine - just couldn't bring myself to put a whole cup of all of that in. I am a dairy princess at heart. The frosting was very tasty - I mean we couldn't quit liking the beaters and the bowl - but the consistency was a little on the soupy side. Don't know if it was the lime juice or the fact that I hadn't followed it correctly - but we had the get them in the fridge ASAP once we dipped them in the coconut.

This is definitely a recipe to play around with and was fun for St Patty's Day !

Comments

Jenny said…
I got that cookbook from the library and I had it for the full three weeks and never got around to cracking the cover. I love your beads all nice and organized!

Popular Posts